A common question I get asked, is what do new programmers (or interns) work on? It varies between companies, projects and the individual, but generally it tends to include things like the following:
- Firefighting. Coping with the constant flow of random issues that come up. This is good for learning all the different parts of the code base.
- User interface for the front end, in-game pause menu, and the in game HUD.
- Fixing ‘TRC’ issues. Things like making sure that the game does the right thing when the controller is pulled out.
- Creating localized versions of the game.
- Supporting internal tools, such as a level editor.
- Working on graphical effects and sound effects.
- Teaming up with someone with more experience on some part of the game, like the player code or enemies, and helping out where needed.